[Zope] Re: Zope, Plone, J2ee?

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 16 12:48:49 EST 2005

Andres Valenciano wrote:
> The question is not if Zope or Plone are great because they are, but
> if they are a good ( better? ) platform for this other type of web
> applications, can it scale to support database/messaging  transactions
> with potentially complex business logic for thousands of users?

Hi,

I've done lots of web-(database)-application-stuff (not only CMS-things)
with Zope / ZODB, but now I'm switching to J2EE / Oracle because it is
far easier to develop and maintain a J2EE-application than a
Zope-application. There are no "advanced" IDEs for Zope / Python or any
large scaling OR-Mapping-Frameworks etc.pp.

Zope is a fine application server for "unstructered" or
"object-orientated" CMS-applications as long as you go with the ZODB
(Zope Object Database), but if you need a good integration with a RDBMS,
forget about Zope.

Ask yourself: if you have lots of unstructered data, go with Zope, if
you need a RDBMS for lots of tables and relational data, stay with J2EE!

And last not least: Forget Plone if you want to build anything like a
"customized" web-application. Plone is a "out-of-the-box"-CMS, not a
framework to build web-database-applications.

Cheers, Maik