[Zope] Re: Zope, Plone, J2ee?

Marco Bizzarri m.bizzarri at icube.it
Thu Mar 17 07:14:43 EST 2005

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:48:49PM +0100, Maik Jablonski wrote:
>
>>I've done lots of web-(database)-application-stuff (not only CMS-things)
>>with Zope / ZODB, but now I'm switching to J2EE / Oracle because it is
>>far easier to develop and maintain a J2EE-application than a
>>Zope-application.
>

> Hope you don't mind me butting in to satisfy my own curiosity.
> Do you have prior experience with J2EE + Oracle to back this up?
>

>>There are no "advanced" IDEs for Zope / Python
>

> maybe so.  What features are you lacking?
>

>>or any
>>large scaling OR-Mapping-Frameworks etc.pp.
>

> I haven't tried this.  Does APE not scale well?
>
> thanks,
>
> PW

We can provide our experience with APE.

We were impressed with the results which were possibile with APE with
few code. However, we got stuck into transactional problems. Basically,
what we found was that APE left transaction opened at the end of
request/response interaction.

This surprised us a lot. Closing transaction in a clean way is one of
the most important requirements in a RDB environment. At the moment
we've decided to wait and see, and test the product later.

There is also another topic to add: APE mailing list seems not very
active (look at  the traffic on the Ape mailing list or the Ape topics
appearing on Zope
mailing list).

Regards
Marco