[Zope] Best place for libraries

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Mar 17 18:03:18 EST 2005

Hello

I'm migrating from Zope 2.6 to 2.7 with an INSTANCE_HOME.
In the previous setup, we had:

Zope
   lib
     python
       <some shared libraries>
       Products
         <standard products plus some from external sources plus some
developed in-house>
     java
       <other Java packages comunicating via xml-rpc>

Now we have a SOFTWARE_HOME and an INSTANCE_HOME and I'm not sure where is
the best place for each directory.
Our own products (which are specific for the application) surely go under
INSTANCE_HOME.
But CookieCrumbler, by example, as an external product, should be under
Products in SOFTWARE_HOME or INSTANCE_HOME?
What about some shared libraries not related explicitely to Zope (like
HyperText, an OO HTML generator)? Should be on SOFTWARE_HOME\lib\python? or
maybe outside the Zope dir, in lib\site-packages inside the Python install?

I know there are many ways to do this, I'm looking for some "best
practices" or something like that.

Gabriel Genellina

Softlab SRL