[Zope] Mac OS X 10.3.8 Webdav + Zope 2.7 + Powerbook Hangs

Pavel Zaitsev pavel at md5.ca
Mon Mar 21 12:56:07 EST 2005

Hi,
I am having issues editing files over webdav on my powerbook. Zope is
mounted via webdav and I am using vim with nowritebackup configured.
Since such configuration is similar to what many may use on this list I
thought some of you may shed some light on what is happening.
Here is steps i go through:
1. book powerbook (postgresql 8.0 starts at that time as well)
2. i login, start console, sudo su to root, do zopectl start
3. mount webdav with Ctrl-K on finder
4. Open shell, change over to /Volumes/127.0.0.1/web_space
5. edit files saving them once in a while, using vim.

Now problem is sometimes I save and the console/vim/webdav mount locks
down. Meaning that if I access /Volumes/127.0.0.1 from other console, it
will lock up too. After little while applications related to file
system(all of them?) start to lock up, like Finder, on CMD-N does not
open new window, but puts a beachball cursor up. Itunes keeps playing
fine until it needs to change song file.
It is really really annoying I might suspect zope/webdav issuing dns
lookup in some critical section that does not return, or some such
thing, since lockouts last around 2-3, maybe 5 mins.
Once time passes all requested actions complete, ie New window for
finder opens.
Curious thing, though that vim says that file has been changed since my
last save and if i want to replace whatever is on webdav mount. Vim
checks for change date/times, I suppose.

Any insights of Mac/Zope users would be appreciated.
Pavel