[Zope] DirectoryStorage?

Shane Graber sgraber at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 17:13:36 EST 2005

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on DirectoryStorage as
compared to FilesystemStorage, which ships with the default Zope
product.  From what I've read on the website
(http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/), it claims to be a much more
robust and fault tolerant way of storing data compared to
FilesystemStorage (Data.fs).  I hadn't given DirectoryStorage much
thought until I saw that Enfold Systems
(http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/Server/Features) released their
Enfold Enterprise Server as default using DirectoryStorage as opposed
to FilesystemStorage.  Based on this, I wanted to get some feedback
from the Zope community about this storage option, it's scalability,
it's use in a high volume production setting, it's stability,
scalability, robustness, etc.  And if the Enfold Systems people are
reading this, I'd be interested in their reasons behind their decision
to go this route as I'm sure some thought was put into why to go this
way as opposed to what ships default with Zope.

Our group will be going into production with 2-3 Zope/Plone sites in
the very near future and robustness, security, and scalability are key
factors in our production environment.

What are the community's thoughts on DirectoryStorage as compared to
FilesystemStorage?

Thanks in advance,

Shane
--