[Zope] Re: Refcounts, ZODB Cache and memory leaks?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Tue May 10 05:22:20 EDT 2005

"Peter Bengtsson" <mail at peterbe.com> wrote in message
news:loom.20050426T185741-270 at post.gmane.org...
> Dylan Jay <me <at> dylanjay.com> writes:
>
>> If anyone has experience with finding these kind of rouge references I'd
>> really appreciate any tips.
>
> I have no idea how to patch tings with LeakFinder to find your problems
> because
> LeakFinder, albeit a great piece of code, attempts an incredibly difficult
> task.
> Most likely, your memory leaks is due to an assignment of really large
> lists on
> complex objects (eg. more complex than strings or numbers).

Can you expound on this a little as this sounds very interesting? Why do
assignments to a list normally result in leaks? Do you mean lists of complex
objects or complex objects that have lists?

> Look for any constructs where you extract large lists and do operations on
> them.
> Once you have, if you ever, contain these, return to the mailing list and
> we can
> try to solve it together.

I certainly do operations on lists, partucularly LazyMap etc. I do
operations with catalog results and map them to lazily to custom objects
which are joined by aquisition to catalog brains.

I'm new to memory leak debugging in python but have done it before in java.
>From what I understand garbage collection happens differently in java. In
java you have to avoid circular references, is the same true in python?