[Zope] Re: Can't see new Plone installation

Jochen Knuth J.Knuth at ipro.de
Thu May 12 09:27:32 EDT 2005

Hi Brian,

Brian Hickey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can't seem to figure this one out:
> - Just installed Plone and added a Plone site through the ZMI
> - After the install the redirect to view the Plone site doesn't
> complete, and I get an 'Action Canceled' error in the browser (IE6).
> However, it seems to install fine (a Plone site is created in the Zope
> root with all the usual forms, site error log, cookie crumbler, etc) and
> I can browse through and customise these elements.
> - If I try to view the Plone site (mydomain.com:8080/Plone) either
> directly in the address bar of the browser, or by clicking the View tab
> of my Plone instance, the browser lags for about a minute (this varies),
> then bombs out with an "Action Canceled" or a "Page Cannot be
> Displayed" error.  The same effect occurs with Firefox.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  If you need any more
> info, please let me know.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Brian
>
> PS - Debug info from ZMI:
> Zope version: (Zope 2.6.3 (source release, python 2.1, linux2), python
> 2.1.3, freebsd4)
> Python version: 2.1.3 (#1, Aug 14 2002, 10:53:43) [GCC 2.95.3 20010315
> (release) [FreeBSD]]
> System Platform: freebsd4

Have you installed python via the Ports-System? An old Problem (as in
solved with newer versions of the python-port since i think 2003) for
errors with Plone on FreeBSD, is that python has to be compiled with a
bigger stacksize. In the actual port version of Python 2.1
(python-2.1.3_7) this is fixed.
So first update the Ports-System and then update the python port.

> SOFTWARE_HOME: /usr/local/Zope-2.6.3/lib/python
> INSTANCE_HOME: /usr/local/Zope-2.6.3
> CLIENT_HOME: /usr/local/Zope-2.6.3/var
> Process ID: 16119 (159627264)
> Running for: 1 min 25 sec
> sys.path:
>   /usr/local/Zope/lib/python
>   /usr/local/Zope
>   /usr/local/Zope
>   /usr/local/lib/python2.1
>   /usr/local/lib/python2.1/plat-freebsd4
>   /usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-tk
>   /usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload
>   /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages

Ciao,
Jochen
Jochen Knuth          WebMaster http://www.ipro.de
IPRO GmbH             Phone ++49-7152-93330
Steinbeisstr. 6       Fax ++49-7152-933340
71229 Leonberg        EMail: J.Knuth at ipro.de