[Zope] Re: ChartDirector and Zope

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Mon May 16 23:01:40 EDT 2005

Hi Paul, yes I did, but not as an external python method, which is
what I was hoping for.

What I ended up doing was defining a cgi-local folder under the
Apache site root, which sits in front of my Zope instance.  Using
rewriterules I can access the cgi-local directory from Zope and pass
arguments to the python chart script and render results with no
problems:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.yoursite.org
ServerAlias yoursite.org *.yoursite.org
ServerAdmin info at yoursite.org
CustomLog /var/log/apache/yoursite.org/combined_log "%h %l %u %t
\"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
Alias /cgi-local/ /var/www/html/yoursite.org/cgi-local/

<Directory "/var/www/html/yoursite.org/cgi-local">
    Options +ExecCGI
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# Zope rewrite.
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule /cgi-local/ - [L]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://216.147.203.60:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mystandards.org:80
/http/mystandards.org/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

</VirtualHost>

The Perl version of ChartDirector would work too in this instance,
but I am very happy with the Python library. FYI... ChartDirector is
just outstanding for the price, and very much worth the 100 dollars
it costs.  The variety of charts (that work) is just amazing!

I would very much have liked to get this working as a Zope external
Python method, but had no luck at all with that, and ran out of time
to research. No sure at all what the problem was, but I could not
render output at all from the chart.  If you figure this out, please
let me know.

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson at indepthl.com