[Zope] Hiding HTML URL

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Thu May 19 10:04:27 EDT 2005

David H  <bluepaul at earthlink.net> wrote:
> If I might disagree, keeping a stable URL is not, by itself,
> "user-defeating".  For example, user's do not like browser history
> clutter with subfolders and objects - all from the same application.

Speaking for myself, often I'm not looking for a website in my history
but for a specific page. Often I remember the website, not the page. The
history feature of the browser should be intelligent enough to allow
grouping by website. That's not a server problem.

> Also, we do not want a user to open browser history and click
> www.myApp.com/updateChartOfAccounts.  Because that would be "out of
> context".  Sure you can respond with an error message.  But why should
> they see it in the first place?

They shouldn't, the application should be written in such a way that
this is a POST, and it won't appear in the history.

> With a stable URL they just click www.myApp.com and they get the main
> page - every time.

That's what bookmarks are for. You're trying to force your ideas of
bookmarking and history management to the users.

> The question remains - is there an elegant solution to this.

What you call "stable URL" everybody else calls "cloaking" or "jailing".
It *is* hostile to the user.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com