[Zope] Keyword index search

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat May 21 13:49:30 EDT 2005

Garito wrote at 2005-5-21 13:29 +0200:
>Dieter Maurer escribió:
>>A long standing bug in "KeywordIndex"...
>>
>>Maybe, you give my "Managable KeywordIndex" a try
>>(part of "ManagableIndex").
>I can't understand the lack of concern you talk about unresolved bugs in
>Zope

I am a big Zope user who also files occational bug reports and
patches. However, I cannot fix bugs in Zope directly (due
to excessive demands with respect to patents, I am not willing
to sign the contributors agreement).

I am not very concerned about unresolved bugs because:

  *  Zope is open source. I can fix any bug which seriously hampers
     my work -- not in the public Zope sources but in our sources of
     Zope.

     To keep upgrades possible despite local modifications,
     we maintain Zope in a source code control system (CVS currently).

  *  I am a pragmatist. When I know there is a problem and
     I know how to avoid it, I just avoid it.

     Especially, I am no longer concerned with bugs in
     Zope's indexes since I have "ManagableIndex".
     I believe "ManagableIndex" it is more flexible, more efficient
     and has less bugs than the stock Zope indexes.

>It seems Zope is not a serious tool. Imagine you want to buy a car but
>the seller says: in these model there are a bug on the brake system but
>I you put these extra no problem

The keyword index bug is far less serious than a bug in the brake
system of a car. I think, I wrote about 5 times "a long standing bug"
in the last two to three years. There are apparently not that many people
concerned about this bug.

>How can I convince my customers to use Zope with these kind of
>searchable information?

You tell them that you can fix serious problems yourself because Zope
is open source -- if there is not already a fix around
(I told you that "Managable KeywordIndex" does not have this problem).

--
Dieter