[Zope] Keyword index search

Garito garito at sistes.net
Sun May 22 10:54:33 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer escribió:

>Garito wrote at 2005-5-21 13:29 +0200:

>>Dieter Maurer escribió:
>>

>>>A long standing bug in "KeywordIndex"...
>>>
>>>Maybe, you give my "Managable KeywordIndex" a try
>>>(part of "ManagableIndex").

>>I can't understand the lack of concern you talk about unresolved bugs in
>>Zope
>>

>I am a big Zope user who also files occational bug reports and
>patches. However, I cannot fix bugs in Zope directly (due
>to excessive demands with respect to patents, I am not willing
>to sign the contributors agreement).
>

>I am not very concerned about unresolved bugs because:
>
>  *  Zope is open source. I can fix any bug which seriously hampers
>     my work -- not in the public Zope sources but in our sources of
>     Zope.
>
>     To keep upgrades possible despite local modifications,
>     we maintain Zope in a source code control system (CVS currently).

Poor. 1 Zope developer, 1 Zope version, 1000 Zope developers, 1000 Zope
versions?

>  *  I am a pragmatist. When I know there is a problem and
>     I know how to avoid it, I just avoid it.

If I know where the problem is I report it to fix the bug

>     Especially, I am no longer concerned with bugs in
>     Zope's indexes since I have "ManagableIndex".
>     I believe "ManagableIndex" it is more flexible, more efficient
>     and has less bugs than the stock Zope indexes.

Why 2 ways?:
    1.- Official one doesn't work
    2.- Unofficial one who needs some duplicated dependency (OFolder
seem very similar to Ordered folder don't you thing?)

If I can't maintain my system clear and simple I change my application
server: easy

>>It seems Zope is not a serious tool. Imagine you want to buy a car but
>>the seller says: in these model there are a bug on the brake system but
>>I you put these extra no problem
>>

>The keyword index bug is far less serious than a bug in the brake
>system of a car. I think, I wrote about 5 times "a long standing bug"
>in the last two to three years. There are apparently not that many people
>concerned about this bug.

Perhaps but *your product doesn't work properly* any diference if you
was a brake system producer (here I'm talking with the keyword index
original developer)

>>How can I convince my customers to use Zope with these kind of
>>searchable information?
>>

>You tell them that you can fix serious problems yourself because Zope
>is open source -- if there is not already a fix around
>(I told you that "Managable KeywordIndex" does not have this problem).

Anyway (I see I can't do anything to change your way of life)

Another question for the main Zope developers group

Did you plan to make some make-up to simplify Zope?

In my opinion Zope has at least one competitive advantage: the fresh
concept about objects but these kind of advantage is lost when the code
grows and grows

Thanks

PD: I don't want to create controversy. I'm developing some code and the
*MAIN* feature is **MINIMUM**

--
Mis Cosas
http://blogs.sistes.net/Garito/