[Zope] Re: Keyword index search

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun May 22 14:09:29 EDT 2005

Garito wrote:
> Dieter Maurer escribió:
>
>> Garito wrote at 2005-5-20 12:41 +0200:

>>> I have a ZCatalog object with a keywordindex called keywords
>>>
>>> I would like to search some objects with keywords ['k1', 'k2', k3',
>>> 'k4'] for that I use:
>>>
>>> return context.catalog({'keywords': {'query': ['k1', 'k2', k3',
>>> 'k4'], 'operator': 'and'}})
>>>
>>> but these query returns objects with keyword = ['k2', 'k3'] (for me
>>> incorrect, I would like to find objects with *all* keywords
>>>
>>> How can I make these kind of querys?
>>>

>> A long standing bug in "KeywordIndex"...
>>

>> Maybe, you give my "Managable KeywordIndex" a try
>> (part of "ManagableIndex").
>>
>> I cannot promiss you that
>> "ManagableIndex" is free of bugs but I definitely can
>> promiss you that a bug resulting in wrong search results
>> is fixed much much more quickly than in the Zope core :-)
>>

>>  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>
>>

> Hi Dieter!
> I can't understand the lack of concern you talk about unresolved bugs in
> Zope
> It seems Zope is not a serious tool. Imagine you want to buy a car but
> the seller says: in these model there are a bug on the brake system but
> I you put these extra no problem
>
> How can I convince my customers to use Zope with these kind of
> searchable information?

The bug you encountered is sufficiently an "edge case" that it has not
gotten any attention from the people who could fix it.  Agitating for it
on the list is likely to be less productive than contributing:

  - Write one or more unit tests which demonstrates the failure (e.g.,
    they fail  with the current implementation).

  - Implement the fix, such that the new tests pass without causing any
    others to fail.

  - Submit the patch, including both the test and the patched
    implementation, as an attachment to the collector issue Andreas
    pointed to:  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/889

Such bug reports get quicker attention, because:

  - they demand less effort from the person with commit access to
    understand the problem (even without the fix, writing the test case
    would be valuable here).

  - they show that the bug matters enough to somebody to have invested
    the effort.

I have checked in a number of patches from Dieter in this way, which
means that Dieter is contributing to the "core" Zope code, even without
checkin access (which Dieter doesn't want to obtain).

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver                                   tseaver at palladion.com