[Zope] surprising interaction between Javascript and Zope

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Tue May 24 19:15:14 EDT 2005

We have a need to set a session variable concurrently with a
user submitting a form on a mouse click.  I accomplish this with
a bit of JavaScript associated with the OnClick attribute of the
form:

  location.replace('/setSesVar?var=nams&val=xxx;frm.submit();

which does the job except that the setSesVar script is executed twice, a
fact we discovered by monitoring calls to the setSesVar script.  Once with
an incorrect parameter, and secondly with a correct parameter.

There is probably some obvious explanation, but I am stumped.  Setting
invalid values into session variables, even transient invalid values, can
cause problems.