[Zope] Zope 2.7.2 with Ape 1.0 installed in root, fails to restart, without any usefull logging, after adding a local role

Tim Connor tim at infosauce.com
Wed May 25 02:42:52 EDT 2005

I sent roughly this email directly to Shane Hathaway, since I hadn't
asked for any help on Zope, yet, so didn't know where to look.  Maybe
this was a better avenue? If you read this list, Shane (or Mr. Hathaway,
if you prefer), respond on whichever seems more appropriate, I guess.  I
don't know, let me know if I'm missing some etiquette point.

Anyways, I'm using Ape 1.0 set-up in the root of Zope 2.7.2 install,
based on the example fs config, and that is working fine.  I was having
a problem where some change was making that Zope instance not even get
far enough in booting to write to the event.log (set to level all).  I
narrowed it down to adding a local role on the security tab of the root
object.  I revert the .properties file and restart - it works.  I make
the change again and restart - it doesn't.  I diff the file, and the
only difference is the define-role line.  The problem is I have no idea
where to start even, since no errors are thrown where I know to find
them.  Zope just doesn't respond at all when I try to restart it, and
writes nothing to the log.

If anyone could tell me what I can do to at least track down the
problem, if not fix it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim