[Zope] experience w/ filestorage mount points? maximum?

Christoph Berendes berendes at netalyst.com
Fri Nov 11 13:12:32 EST 2005

I am writing to tap the list's experience with running a single zope
instance with a large number (30, 500, 2000?) of mount points.

We're hosting a number of client sites, and for each client, e.g.
clientX, we have a mount point:

> <zodb_db clientX>
> mount-point /clientX
> <filestorage>
> path $INSTANCE/var/clientX/Data.fs
> </filestorage>
> </zodb_db>

Currently, we have about a dozen of these. This works well. Of course,
more clients will increase server load, but so long as that is more or
less linear and gradual, that's fine.

Questions for the list:
    - What's the greatest number of mount points that folks have set up
this way(50? 1000? more?) and what's been the experience,  particularly
with non-linear responses (e.g. "it all goes to pot after n=100")?

 - Are there any theoretical limits on the number of mount points?

Thanks.