[Zope] Re: zope 2.8.4 on windows 98

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Mon Nov 14 16:42:51 EST 2005

Fernando Martins wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:

>>>Yes, I believe this is intentional. Windows 98 is a seven year old OS
>>>with  insufficient infrastructure to reliably run server tasks anyway. At
>>>least  get Windows 2000, which has a decent kernel.
>>>

>>However that does not mean that Zope won't run on Windows 98. For a recent
>>project where we ship and install Zope on all customers desktop machines I
>>had to do a lot of testing especially on Windows 98.
>

> I've been using zope 2.7.4 on win 98 for some development/testing, not as a
> real server.
>
> But I'm confused by your statement: if zope 2.8.4 is calling an NT security
> function, not available in win98, then it does NOT run on win98?? DO you
> mean there is something wrong with my win98 setup or that zope 2.8.4 could
> be patched to overcome this issue?

Probably this is just in the start sequence. You cannot, of course, run
Zope as a service in Win98, since it understands no such thing. Quite
possibly you can use runzope or whatever to execute it in a console.

I can't say exactly as the traceback has been edited out of this thread
(and I've deleted the old messages).

FYI, the last time I tried Zope on Win98 was Zope 2.2.

		--jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com