[Zope] DateTime mess

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 13:20:15 EST 2005

Hi Jürgen,

Many thanks for even thinking about looking at the DateTime debacle ;)

Jürgen Herrmann wrote:
>>Well, that would be cool. Just a question: How do you plan to keep and
>>verify backwards compatibility? Any database, with any type of
>>DateTime object, must work transparently.
>
> 100% compatibility isn't desireable, because its broken atm ;P

Well yes, but you don't want to force people to change in an unpleasant
way. From what I can see, DateTime _should_ just be a lightweight
wrapper around Python's datetime.datetime to add the extra formatting
commands, helper methods and zodb persistence.

However, it isn't, and I don't think changing it to be so is the way to go.

What I _would_ like to see is a new package that works with both Zope 3
and Zope 2 and offers exactly this. We could advocate switching to this,
with DateTime becoming deprecated and removed in, say, Zope 2.10.

I wonder if Zope 3 has something that meets these needs already? Perhaps
you could have a dig and find out on zope3-dev at zope.org?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk