[Zope] Zope 2.8.4 strange behavior

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:48:45 EST 2005

Resolved.  Thanks to all that responded.

The symptoms were due to an external method which runs a program (htmldoc)
that converts html to pdf.  The external method uses the "old" subprocess
interface to fire off the process and then wait() for it to complete.  To
fix another problem, we had upgraded to the latest version, but that
htmldoc version apparently is confused by some of our html input and never
completes so the external method just sits there waiting for the child
process to terminate.  Multiple invokations of the blocked htmldoc process
eventually brought Zope to its knees and no further progress was made.

Confession is good for the soul

The problem took a long time to find because failures were infrequent (we
only saw three or for instances) so there was limited data.  Moreover,the
external method the was failing had been in service for almost two years
and has not been a problem.  And, other very similar external methods
which also use htmldoc were known to work with the upgraded htmldoc.  It
was not until the external method was identified as the only commonality
in the failures that I thought to look closely at the external method.
And then I noticed the blocked htmldoc processes, etc.  etc.

The fix

Our solution was to revert htmldoc to the earlier version.

When time permits we'll add a timeout to the external method and try to
extablish what in the current release htmldoc triggered the failure.  We
probably should move to the new subprocess module rather than use popen2
in the external method.