[Zope] Zope Scalability

Tom Wilde tom.wilde at odconsultancy.com
Wed Oct 5 12:37:08 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I've been using Zope for a while now and found it to be an excellent
solution however I've got a few enterprise questions about the
scalability of Zope that just need to be answered.

[ nb: I'm using V2.72 at the moment, not having moved over to V3 ]

ZODB size
What is the maximum size of this file and/or maximum object ID?
=> just how many objects can the zodb hold? millions? tens of
millions..?? billions...??? I have a feeling we'll run out of ram long
before actually hitting the limit but it'd be nice to know the
theoretical top limit.

ExtFile
Managed to serve 500,000 files through extfile - anybody come across an
upper limit here? Planning to serve larger sites off a SAN hopefully -
has anyone tried this?

Zeo and Cataloging
If I have my site on one server and ZCatalog (using TextIndexNG) on
another server (connected by ZEO) where does the actual index operation
occur? Do just the results get propogated to the catalog?

LDAP Authentication
I understand that can use the LDAPUserFolder Product to provide
authentication against an ldap server. Could I throw,say, 50000+ users
at zope using this system?

Load Balancing and Cookie Based Sessions
Currently we use cookie based sessions via cookie crumbler presumably in
a load balanced server setup we'd have to host acl_users ona  ZEO'd
izope instance somewhere on the backend?

thanks in advance, any advice welcome - in a brave new world here.

Tom