[Zope] Zope Scalability

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Wed Oct 5 12:58:21 EDT 2005

--On 5. Oktober 2005 17:37:08 +0100 Tom Wilde <tom.wilde at odconsultancy.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been using Zope for a while now and found it to be an excellent
> solution however I've got a few enterprise questions about the
> scalability of Zope that just need to be answered.
>
> [ nb: I'm using V2.72 at the moment, not having moved over to V3 ]
>
> ZODB size
> What is the maximum size of this file and/or maximum object ID?
> => just how many objects can the zodb hold? millions? tens of
> millions..?? billions...??? I have a feeling we'll run out of ram long
> before actually hitting the limit but it'd be nice to know the
> theoretical top limit.

Several million  objects are common  for large installations. The ZODB
keeps an internal index of the objects (the size is proportional to the
number of objects). In addition you have caches. Their size depends on the
configuration. Running a ZEO client with 1-2  GB of RAM for large
installation is common.

> ExtFile
> Managed to serve 500,000 files through extfile - anybody come across an
> upper limit here? Planning to serve larger sites off a SAN hopefully -
> has anyone tried this?

no idea

> Zeo and Cataloging
> If I have my site on one server and ZCatalog (using TextIndexNG) on
> another server (connected by ZEO) where does the actual index operation
> occur? Do just the results get propogated to the catalog?

The indexing work is always happens on the ZEO clients, not on the server.
Just the results are transferred to the ZEO Server.

> LDAP Authentication
> I understand that can use the LDAPUserFolder Product to provide
> authentication against an ldap server. Could I throw,say, 50000+ users
> at zope using this system?

This should work in general. Possibly it requires some tweaking here and
there depending on your usecases.

> Load Balancing and Cookie Based Sessions
> Currently we use cookie based sessions via cookie crumbler presumably in
> a load balanced server setup we'd have to host acl_users ona  ZEO'd
> izope instance somewhere on the backend?

I don't see what sessions have to do with acl_users. In your ZEO setup you
have identical data except sessions on every ZEO client. You just have to
ensure somehow that users get to the same ZEO client for the lifetime of
the session. How this is done depends basically on the load balancer.

-aj