[Zope] Zope security and packing the database

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 03:45:55 EDT 2005

Cameron Beattie wrote:
> def main():
>        urllib._urlopener = MyUrlOpener()
>        url = "%s/Control_Panel/Database/manage_pack?days:float=%s" % \

*sigh* url whacking, bleugh!

> If I use the backup user then urllib can't get the url due to no
> authentication so errors as follows:

What roles do you want to have the backup user to have?
What permissions are mapped to those roles?
What permissions are mapped to the Owner role?
Looking at the differences will tell you what's going on ;-)

>> PS: I wouldn't do zodb packing by whacking a url. There's a script
>> that scripts with ZOpe now that opens up a ZEO connection and does the
>> pack that way, that's what I'd do...
>>
> I don't use ZEO - can I just do the scripted packing bit without all the
> associated ZEO setup?

You should use ZEO! there's no sane reason not to...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk