[Zope] Zope Debugger lets WingDbg fail to connect toclient

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 03:50:15 EDT 2005

Hi John,

Wingware Support wrote:
>>> sorry, here it is. It is the the WingDbg Product, but you probably
>>> will be unable to install/use it as it depends on the WingIDE (at
>>> least part of it) to be installed on the server, too. And as WingIDE
>>> is not open source, I am not allowed to hand it on.
>>
>> The patching is a bit worse than I expected, it doesn't look like
>> WinDbg makes any attempt to call back to the original version of the
>> method it's patching, which is a bit sad :-(
>
> The patching WingDBG does is required so that the co_filename attribute
> of code objects is set correctly.

That's no good if they're not FS-based ;-)

http://www.simplistix.co.uk/software/zope/zdb

> We'd be even more interested in
> having Zope changed so that any debugger would work without monkey
> patching ;).

Well, with code stored in an ODB and pdb's fundamentally FS-based and
suprisingly unpluggable attitude, I don't think that's likely...

Also, bear in mind the oeverhead for getting the debugger stuff working,
I really wouldn't want to use it in production!

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk