[Zope] selected in select lists

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 03:15:22 EDT 2005

Garry Saddington wrote:
> This code does not work;-).

That, in itself, as an argument for using ZPT. The reason it doesn't
work is probably because of some subtlety in name lookup of your DTML
method.

Showing DTML to other people, say, on a mailing list, is much harder to
grok than a ZPT, where at least you can be asked "what is context in
this scenario? container? etc".

Tino also hit the nail on the head: if your ZPT seems complexm you're
trying to do too much in your presentation layer. Since all DTML is butt
ugly and overly complex, you don't get much help with this ;-)

> If I always work in the ZMI and do not
> collaborate with designers on database web applications where the data
> is more important than the presentation, can you give me a good reason
> for not using DTML.

Wow, only a true DTML user could come up with a sentence that convoluted ;-)

> the namespace magic thing it is not that bad. The ZPT code above seems
> to me more complex and it has defined two new variables,

Explicit is better than implicit. Try explaining what <dtml
sequence-item> means to me, and why it should work ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk