[Zope] database connections from external method

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:13:12 EDT 2005

Vangelis Mihalopoulos wrote:

> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>> The threading is handled by the ZDA, so you can use query() or what
>> the method actually is.
>
> I couldn't find a method like that... any hints?

Have a look at the ZSQL methods code, I remember this being pretty old
and convoluted :-(

>> Otoh, what do you think you gain from
>> circumventing ZSQL Methods?
>
> Well, i am running zope under root privileges in "read-only" mode.

What does this mean? What are you seeking to do or prevent?

> If
> there is a Zope break-in,

What does that mean?

> i want to minimize interference with the
> database.

Which database?

> Also, since this will be a commercial product, keeping most of the code
> in compiled python scripts is meaningful.

As Jens already explained, .pyc's and pyo's can be decompiled in a
matter of minutes, so you're getting nothing for this worry other than
finding debugging a pain ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk