[Zope] Re: Zope iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Pascal Peregrina Pperegrina at Lastminute.com
Tue Sep 13 09:21:20 EDT 2005

I see...  And what python function would you use for conversion ?

I made some tests and was surprised of the results...
I switched ZMI to UTF-8 (management_page_charset) and edited some of my
documents / properties and all went fine.
The generated documents are still sent to browsers as iso-8859-1, and are
not broken.

So my question would be : which valid UTF-8 characters (for typical Western
languages like English, French, Spanish, ...) would be invalid in iso-8859-1
?

Last thing, if ZMI is switched to UTF-8, then what is the difference between
ustring/string, etc properties ?

Thanks.

Pascal

-----Message d'origine-----
De : zope-bounces at zope.org [mailto:zope-bounces at zope.org]De la part de
Max M
Envoyé : mardi 13 septembre 2005 14:51
À : zope at zope.org
Objet : [Zope] Re: Zope iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Pascal Peregrina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running a Zope installation for 2 years, so there are now lots
> of objects, properties, etc...
>
> I would like to know what are the possible issues I may have to face if I
> change the default encoding for iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in ZMI.

You must write a script that converts any property on any object in your
site that is latin-1 to utf-8.

So first find all objects you use. See what types they are.

Find all text and string attributes on those opjects.

Write a function that converts from latin to utf and run that on every
object.

The hard part will be finding all the attributes, but perhaps you can
write a method that can help find those properties for you using
introspection.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/