[Zope] Using Structured Text and HTML-quote together for RSS 2.0

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 03:01:39 EDT 2005

(and after the flame bait, something real to argue with)

Jonathan Cyr wrote:
> Happy to have the choice, don't get me wrong.  I found DTML very easy,
> I'm old school and generate all of my HTML/CSS by hand.

Indeed, generating HTML by hand is specifcally why I use ZPT. The
well-formed-ness and associated checking mean I never miss out the odd
 >, or closing tag, which I remember being a constant problem,
especially in complicated DTML.

There's also the rediculous DTML namespace lookup rules, which, once
upon a time, I used to know, and now am grateful for not having to care
about...

> In addition to CSS, I've found it pretty good for inserting items into
> JavaScript, Applet and Embed elements.

I'd probably do these using a python script if ZPT can't cut it, which
it often can. Although I still long for a ZPT mode which DOESN'T do some
of the checking, and where you have better control over where whitespace
is inserted...

> I find that I'm attuned to a tag system that jumps out at me when
> reading.... The ZPT stuff wasn't as easy to parse visually for me....

I found a good HTML highlighting mode for my editor (emacs) helped a lot
with this...

> Funny, I bought Zope's approach "hook, line & sinker", early on, with
> the various Zope books published with DTML being a major piece of the
> Zope puzzle.  DTML made sense to me then, still does.

Maybe you like ZClasses too? ;-)

*grinz*

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk