[Zope] How to create an ansynchronous method

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 05:50:20 EDT 2005

David Pratt wrote:
> really interesting.I think it would be a really good thing to see fire
> and forget with a process you create as a series of steps that can also
> be queued in one or more queues.

Well, I think ZAsync would be great for building and managing the
queues, with Stepper steps being used to process them...

> I also think there is some interesting possibility for something like a
> Zope instance Stepper where you could trigger a generic daemon to run a
> thread to process asynchronous tasks (steps) without a ZEO requirement.

Huh? That made no sense. Spawning new ZServer threads is evil, I like
the fact that Stepper keeps it simple and connects to a ZEO server. It
means Stepper can be run from any normal Zope client build and doesn't
need to do anything funky.

> The asynchronous jobs could be queued for long running tasks outside of
> zope or timed to inject the step requests into zope for the maintenance
> of a zope instance (in the same vein as ClockServer) but in a single
> product.

I think a combination of Stepper and ZAsync could meet your needs, when
you hit specific problems which you need help with, let me or Gary know :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk