[Zope] Zope crashes on request of certain page

Sven Jacobs jacobs at tedsoft.de
Tue Apr 11 03:34:07 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > This does not look like a crash.
 >
 > The message tells you that a start failed because another running (!)
 > process still has the ZODB storage file locked.
 >
 > Almost surely, Zope is not dead (at least not completely).
 >

 > I have seen similar behaviour in the past: caused by a Python threading
 > bug triggered by a Linux 2.4 signal handling peculiarity:
 >
 >    A fatal signal kills the main Zope thread (handling all IO
 >    with the clients) but let the remaining threads in an
 >    insane state (could only be removed with "kill -9").

This is exactly what happens! The process still exists but it doesn't
respond.

 > Current Python versions should have fixed this problem.
 >> Operating system is SuSE Linux 8.0, Zope version is 2.5.0, Python 2.2,
 >
 > Almost surely, one of the configurations with the bug mentioned above...

Well, for testing I tried to copy the Zope DB (Data.fs.*) into a fresh
OpenSuSE 10.0 installation. Zope version there is 2.7.7. It works but
now I get an authorization request dialog on every page. Any idea what
could have gone wrong during the upgrade?

--
Sincerely yours
Sven Jacobs