[Zope] Strategies for testing generated sql?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Apr 12 12:57:11 EDT 2006

--On 12. April 2006 12:32:29 -0400 Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> How do people test this sort of thing? Do you go whole-hog and
> fire up MySQL or whatever?  Or use gadfly? sqlite? or what?

I've had a project some yrs ago where we had to parse some kind of query
language and translate it into Oracle SQL including Oracle Intermedia
statements. At that time I've implemented something unittest-like to check
the correctness of the generated SQL both for small queries and
combinations of queries. However I did not check the queries in real. The
correctness of the parser and the SQL generator was sufficient at that
time. Btw. Oracle raised more problems with generated SQL than we would
have had time to care about the SQL correctness :-)

-aj

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376
E-Publishing, Python, Zope & Plone development and consulting