[Zope] newbie needs advice on where to use zope

Sells, Fred fred at adventistcare.org
Wed Apr 12 16:32:50 EDT 2006

I realize that to a man with a hammer, every problem is a nail, but...

I've been tasked to produce ~50page contracts with a little dynamic
information inserted into the appropriate fields.  This will run on a linux
server and must generate PDF files.  These contracts actually consist of
multiple packets, with different signature and distribution requirements.
Parts of the contract will vary from state to state.

I originally did this job a year ago using xml, xslt and fop.  While that
worked well, it required that all changes had to come to me and then I would
edit the xml.  While that does lead to job security, it's not the type of
job I would like to secure ;)

I am receiving the boilerplate  in OpenOffice format. and was considering
using the python UNO bridge to openoffice or a mailmerge script.  Although I
have not used OpenOffice before, it is one of our company standards.

Part of the problem is that the dynamic data resides in a legacy system that
can only be accessed via HTTP.  Also these contracts will be done
individually, as required at our various field facilities.  Furthermore I
have little freedom to change appearance, due to various ~legal issues.

So after all that rambling, Is Zope a viable tool or am I killing a gnat
with a cannon?  I have installed both zope and plone in the past, but never
used them for more than playing around, so I am concerned about the learning
curve.  One thing that did appeal to me was that there needs to be a formal
approval cycle for changes to the boilerplate, and I seem to recall that
Zope is good at that.

Are there any prebuilt freebie zope applications that would give me a head
start, or any good starting points in general.  I'm very familiar with
Python.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and / or
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying to this message and deleting the material from any
computer.