[Zope] Atomic ZSQL on Zope 2.7.5

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 14:22:02 EDT 2006

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Jung wrote:
>> For some reason I thought ZSQL method calls were atomic, but they appear
>> otherwise.
>
> What do you mean by atomic? ZSQL are handled by the database adaper
> which is usually tied to the transaction manager of the ZODB.

I'm too tired to find the words, so cut and pasted from answers.com: -

"Indivisible. An atomic operation, or atomicity, implies an operation
that must be performed entirely or not at all. For example, if machine
failure prevents a transaction to be processed to completion, the system
will be rolled back to the start of the transaction."

Like Michael, I had understood that ZSQL database transactions were tied
into Zope transactions, and would fail or succeed as a whole. Like him,
I have found that - at least with this combination of DA & RDBMS - this
is not so. I work around it, as I always do when a Microsoft product is
involved. If I hit the same thing with PostgreSQL, I'll look into it
deeper...

--

Regards,

PhilK