[Zope] Atomic ZSQL on Zope 2.7.5

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 15:28:52 EDT 2006

Hi Floyd,

Floyd May wrote:
>> Like Michael, I had understood that ZSQL database transactions were tied
>> into Zope transactions, and would fail or succeed as a whole. Like him,
>> I have found that - at least with this combination of DA & RDBMS - this
>> is not so. I work around it, as I always do when a Microsoft product is
>> involved. If I hit the same thing with PostgreSQL, I'll look into it
>> deeper...
>
> I was under the impression that ZSQL methods were very much intended to
> be atomic:
> http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/RelationalDatabases.stx#2-77

Yes, the docs seem pretty unambiguous.

> I know that it's been atomic to the point of frustration when working
> with Zope and MySQL.  Perhaps the database adapter is at fault here?

Surely there /is/ only one point to which it can be atomic?

;-)

There are several layers to this - the eGenix DA, the eGenix ODBC stuff
below that, MS's ODBC driver for SQL Server and SQL server itself. If I
hit the issue with the eGenix DA and another (non-MS) database, or with
another DA and another (non-MS) database entirely, I would spend time
trying to diagnose it. Having wasted a big chunk of my life on
troubleshooting this stuff I now have a rigid policy - if an MS product
is involved I want to know how it /does/ work and develop against that,
otherwise I want to know how it /should/ work and make sure it does. I'm
not trying to denigrate MS (I earn a living on Windows, can live with
the OS, can live without the applications), I'm just making an
observation on not throwing precious time away on things that are
unfathomable.

--

Regards,

PhilK