[Zope] zope unresponsive

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Apr 25 15:35:17 EDT 2006

Andy Altepeter wrote at 2006-4-24 14:26 -0500:
>I'm experiencing hanging issues with my Zope-2.8.6+zeo setup/ RHEL 4. The
>hanging isn't categorized by 100% cpu usage. Actually, I had the same issues
>using 2.8.5, but I've upgraded since then.  Here's the situation:
>
>I have one zeo client connected to a zeo server on the same box.  Apache sits
>in front, using RewriteRules to request data from zope.
>
>After some time (could be 2 minutes or an hour), the zeo client stops
>responding.  Apparently this is called a deadlock or a "spinning zope".

I know this behaviour from a Python bug triggered by
Linux threading peculiarity:

  In the case of this bug, the main thread is killed by
  a deadly signal but all other threads remain alife.
  Therefore, neither the zdaemon nor the clients recognized
  Zope's death (the "zdaemon" may recognize it but it cannot
  restart Zope as the sockets are still in use).
  A recognizing feature of this bug is that the remaining
  threads need to be killed with "kill -9".

This bug is fixed in newest Python versions of the "Python 2.3"
and "Python 2.4" series.

--
Dieter