[Zope] Zope 2.9 Product Refreshing

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Aug 7 07:56:33 EDT 2006

--On 7. August 2006 21:47:37 +1000 James Davies <zope-list at foomatic.net>
wrote:

> Hi. I've been attempting to develop products with Zope 2.9, and am finding
> it increasingly difficult and slow to do so as Product refreshing no
> longer
> works.
>
> Google shows up a few results from mailing lists with somewhat negative
> worry
> about fixing it, as they don't see a real need for it).

Refreshing was always a hack and never something I would call a feature.
It was always a hack for *development* purposes but not for production.

> However, as a zope restart seems to take a good 5-10 seconds on my high
> end
> workstation (AthlonX2 4800+) with all the essentiall products installed
> (Plone, archetypes etc, plus my application), it's starting to become a
> major problem.

You might blame Plone for shipping for three tons of frameworks?

> as an example, I spent about three hours today debugging a problem, 90% of
> which was wasted waiting for zope restarts after making small changes and
> adding trace print statements. If I was able to refresh the product I
> would
> likely have taken less than half an hour.

I understand and fully agree with you but things are as they are. Even
worser....Refresh does not work Five...

> Another major issue I've discovered is Zope hosting. We reguarly deploy
> custom sites on shared zope environments, and having to restart an entire
> server just to update one product severely breaks our uptime guarentee.

Refresh only works in debug-mode. You want to tell us that you are running
a production site in debug-mode?

> I'm afraid we are going to have no choice but to either drop back to Zope
> 2.8, or ditch Zope entirely- something I'd prefer not to have to do with
> our
> large codebase.

> I'm hoping I can garner some support to get the zope developers to fix the
> problem. Failing that, ANY information pointing me in the right direction
> would be helpful, as I'm more than happy to fix it myself and submit a
> patch.

Dieter Maurer wrote a RefreshTool product lately (not sure if this would
solve your problem and not sure if he released it).

I doubt that the Refresh situation will change in the near future.

-aj