[Zope] Zope 2.9 Product Refreshing

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Aug 7 14:43:39 EDT 2006

--On 7. August 2006 20:30:11 +0200 Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote at 2006-8-7 13:56 +0200:
>> Refreshing was always a hack and never something I would call a feature.
>> It was always a hack for *development* purposes but not for production.
>
> We are speaking about development, not about production.

We're also talking about techniques to avoid downtime. So we are are also
speaking of production :-)

>> Refresh does not work Five...
>
> Do you understand why?

No, and I did not try.

> In my view, refreshing should work with Five.
>
> For this to work, we almost sure need to tell Five that the product
> was refreshed such that Five can reprocess the "*.zcml" files for the
> product.

I think this is basically a Zope 3 issue and not a Zope 2 issue. There
were also some approaches in Z3 to make browser views somehow
refreshable but I nothing that appeared in a release so far.

>>> Another major issue I've discovered is Zope hosting. We reguarly deploy
>>> custom sites on shared zope environments, and having to restart an
>>> entire server just to update one product severely breaks our uptime
>>> guarentee.
>>
>> Refresh only works in debug-mode. You want to tell us that you are
>> running  a production site in debug-mode?
>
> I think you err, Andreas.

See my later posting.

> Refresh always works, at least the explicit refresh (do not know
> about the automatic one which I have never used).

>>> I'm hoping I can garner some support to get the zope developers to fix
>>> the problem.
>
> I am a great fan of refresh and would try to get it fixed if we
> had a need for it.

> Nevertheless, it may come sooner as some external developpers are
> a fan of Five and want to install a newer version. As we all
> expect Five to be the reason that refresh no longer works, this might
> force me to look into this problem earlier than I currently think.

This is basically an issue when you work with Plone. Loading the complete
boilerplate really takes ages. An instance running on a decent machine will
start fast when  you work with CMF & friends.

-aj