[Zope] "Pausing" ZCatalog and re-indexing later

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Fri Aug 11 11:29:30 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <krokodylek at tenbit.pl>
To: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 1:10 PM
Subject: [Zope] "Pausing" ZCatalog and re-indexing later

> Hi :-)
>
> The system I am working on is using a ZCatalog with some indexes (over 10)
> for faster searching.
>
> Unfortunatelly there are some use cases, where I have to add really many
> new objects to ZODB. It works, but very slowly. I suspect that this is
> because when I add an object to Folder (with _setObject) it gets indexed -
> couple thousands of objects multiplied by over 10 indexes = looooong.
>
> Am I guessing right or am I completely lost? ;-)
>
> If this is the probable reason - is there some way I could disable
> indexing temporarily and after adding all of the objects make it re-index
> the new ones? I think that even a full re-index would work faster than it
> works now...
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Another approach is to build/update a new ZCatalog in another .fs file (you
can do this offline, on another box, etc), and then just swap in the new .fs
file.  You can also create a mount point for a folder that contains nothing
but the ZCatalog and then just swap in that (instead of swapping the entire
Data.fs file).

hth

Jonathan