[Zope] Python Scripts and HTML Forms

Muk Yan myan at umich.edu
Thu Aug 17 14:57:59 EDT 2006

Dear Trusted Zope Zealots,

This subject was a bit too broad to do a google search on, because I've
tried and the lack of relevancy was astounding.

I've probably been committing a cardinal sin in DTML, but I couldn't figure
any other work around.

I have an HTML form in a DTML Document say:

<form action="process_this_form" method="post"

Name:<input type="text" name:"first_name">

</form>

I want to use "first_name" in a python script, but what I've been doing is
setting it in the process_this_form, which is a DTML method:

DTML Method, process_this_form:
<dtml-call "REQUEST.SESSION.set('firstName', first_name)>
<dtml-call "this_is_a_python_script()">

and in the Python Script, this_is_a_python_script
I use REQUEST.SESSION.get('firstName')

What my question is, is there anyway to directly access "first_name" from
the form in the python script without having to have to call the <dtml-call
"REQUEST.SESSION.set('firstName', first_name)> and then
REQUEST.SESSION.get('firstName')
in the python script.  Sort of a sophomoric question, but any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-Muk