[Problem report] "pack" discards reachable object (was: [Zope] Pack problem with zeo)

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Mon Aug 21 13:38:35 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
To: "Jonathan" <dev101 at magma.ca>
Cc: <zope at zope.org>; <zodb-dev at zope.org>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 1:32 PM
Subject: [Problem report] "pack" discards reachable object (was: [Zope] Pack
problem with zeo)

> Jonathan wrote at 2006-8-21 11:41 -0400:
>>I have encountered a problem caused by packing Data.fs (pack done via
>>ZMI -
>>Control Panel - Database Management - main - Pack).  After Data.fs is
>>packed, the ZODBmount point for the zeo server is missing.
>>
>>I have the following folder set-up:
>>
>>Root
>>   |----Coz
>>          |---ZeoServer1
>>
>>After the pack operation, folder 'ZeoServer1' is missing.
>
> That would be a severe bug in "FileStorage" -- and it is almost
> unbelievable...
>
>   A mount point is nothing special for a "FileStorage". It is
>   treated like any other object.
>
>   What you tell us is that a reachable object can be discarded
>   by packing. As a mount point is nothing special, it could
>   happen with any object.
>
>   But it is now years back that we got the last packing problem report.

I can reproduce the behaviour very easily... after I pack and the
'ZeoServer1' folder disappears i do the following:

- stop zope
- delete Data.fs
- rename Data.fs.old to Data.fs
- start zope

And the ZeoServer1 folder is back.  I then pack zope and the ZeoServer1
folder disappears again.  I can do this again and again and again.

Jonathan