[Zope] including folder in all requests

Marko Kruijer marko at mm-pro.nl
Tue Aug 29 09:35:50 EDT 2006

I am in the process of designing a zope product, and i want to inlcude
the same kind of 'functionality' that Plone offers with its skins.

I have a folderish object where i have a number of subfolders, scripts etc.

Suppose I have a folder named 'custom' in my base folder, i then want
all other object to be able to access the objects in this folder without
using URL's to do this.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- use __before_publishing_traverse__ to modify the
TraversalRequestNameStack.
This works pretty wel, but there is a nasty side effect, the management
pages also get effected by this, and thus it is not usable.

- user __bobobase_traverse__ to see if an object exists, and if not
check the 'custom' folder and then rerutnr the object from there.
 This works only in the root folder of my site, if i go to a subfolder i
get 'not found' for every call i make to a object existing in the custom
folder.

I've been looking at the plone source code to see how they've done this,
but I can't seem to figure out where this 'magic' is happening.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been trying different
options for a few days now and I think I'm possibly looking in the wrong
directions.