[Zope] Wrapping zope with socksify

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:13:15 EST 2006

Hello,

we wanted to open connections from within zope to other elements. As the
other elements require that we connect to them via a socks server, we
considered it a good idea to wrap zope with socksify. socksify is a program
from the dante package which allows you to add socks support for any network
application by just wrapping the application with socksify. It is just like
using strace on linux.
Now we got the problem that zope randomly crashed. We suspected that the
socksify version we used was faulty and tried it with the latest socksify
version as a static compiled binary, but had similar problems.

Did somebody else try to wrap zope with socksify and had success with it?
I found only this hint that application developers should take care of:
*select(2)/poll(2)*applications combining non-blocking sockets with
select(2)/poll(2) need to make sure they can handle the select(2)/poll(2)
call being interrupted. This is due to how the Dante clientlibrary
implements support for non-blocking connect(2).But our application crashed
randomly, and not when we tried to access certain ftp servers.

Best regards,

            Patrick Gerken