[Zope] processing data problem

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Tue Dec 26 18:18:37 EST 2006

> I already have the tools to do it but I just don't know where to do it.
> Is it to bring the program to the user and process it on the user's
> computer or bring the data to my server and do it.
> If its on the user's computer, I could save the time from transfering
> files, which could be a really problem if the file is over 500mb,
> let alone 1GB. but the user's computer might not have the libraries
> needed to translate the set data.
This is very inprecise use case description. Do you have to transfer
these files for every user and every time he has to do something? How
many users (and concurrent users) you will have? What is your network
admin opinion about such a big transfers for estimated amount of users?

> I would really like to work on the first case, since I think it is the
> most effeicient way,
Efficient for you or for your users?

> but I don't know how to do it (bring the program to a computer
> that probably won't have python or the required libraries).
> Do you know how to accomplish this? Could you help me?
What do you mean by 'bring the program to a computer'?
Just few hints:
1. Write INSTALL.txt :-)
2. Use python 'eggs'.
3. In Windows you may use py2exe (or things like that) to create
typical Windows executable app.

and there are other possibilities like installers etc. but you
first need to define your target platform and then ask about this
(possibly on python mailing list).

--
Maciej Wisniowski