[Zope] ZEO disconnects, Zope auto restarts (via zopectl)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Feb 3 13:06:24 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:35:11AM -0800, Dennis Allison wrote:
> 	Timing correlates to the second.  Zope and ZEO live on the
> 	same physical box.

OK.  Do you have more than one ZEO client?  If not,
I'd reevaluate whether you need ZEO at all.
(It's great for zopectl debug on a live system, but otherwise it does
nothing but add overhead if you're not using it to run multiple
Zopes. But you probably knew that.)

> 	I doubt if I am hitting a limit.  The box has nearly 8GB of
> 	memory most of which (6GB) is used by linux as a cache.
> 	No messages in the logs.

OK. It should be pretty obvious if you were hitting a limit.
I don't think it's possible on linux to run out of memory without the
kernel complaining somewhere in /var/log.

> > Unrelated to your problem, and maybe you know this, but depending on the
> > size of your storage, I'd consider increasing the zeo client cache size.
> > It's a disk cache and you can safely make it huge.  But if you don't see
> > "cache flipping" messages in your event log, it may not matter.
> >
> 	Done, but I cannot report on the effect.

Well, as I said, it's very unlikely to have any impact on
your problem.

If I were in your shoes the first thing I'd do is bump up the log levels
on both zope and zeo to BLATHER.  Adds overhead I know, but you need to find
the problem somehow... it's a weird one, I've never seen zope
restart "for no reason".

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com