[Zope] Zope or Plone for a social-networking site? (2nd try)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 15:44:52 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, Marty McFly <martymcfly at lycos.de> wrote:
> 1) Do you think Zope/Plone would be the right thing for this kind of project, or rather some Java CM-system (with better performance maybe since it is compiled and not interpreted?) or some PHP-system? (not a fan of PHP, to be honest... I favor python)

Zope should be fine. Java is a little bit faster than Python, but
that's not where the bottleneck is, so you don't have to worry about
that.

> 2) Now, the main question: Zope or Plone? I don't completely understand the difference between these two...

Plone is a CMS using the Zope application server. Others are CPS and Silva.
Both CPS and Plone has some of the functionality you wanted, so you
may be able to avoid writing as much there. Download them and check
them out.