[Zope] Zope on a shared host behind Apache?

Sven Deichmann deichmann at werkbank.com
Thu Feb 23 03:15:06 EST 2006

Hi,

you may face several problems with shared hosts:

- - you may not have the privilege to configure apache to your needs (you
may be able to via .htaccess)

- - you may lack the privilege to compile/install software (including the
Zope instance. Remember that you need to compile parts of Zope!)

- - needed software could be unavailable to you (python)

If the provider uses security modules you may also not be able to open
ports.

Also remember that the zope instance will most probably run as your user
and will have the same privileges as you (its unlikely you will be able
to execute it as different user or create one...) including the ability
to wipe out the whole directory content.

Regards,
Sven