[Zope] Leave the ivory tower now!

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Tue Jan 3 16:41:13 EST 2006

Do we know.... Is the Zope community growing or shrinking?  Is there
even a problem?   Is Python growing or shrinking?  Is there any connection?

Zope.org seems to have been built as a community center, with accounts/
3rd party add-ons etc.  Is it working.  RubyonRails.com has none of this
functionality.

Perhaps a GetZope.com site, similar to GetFirefox.com is in order, that
provides a very small amount of "get started" information.

Two Cents,

-Jon

Gert Thiel wrote:
> Dear friends.
>
> A few days ago the Ruby on Rails development team published the 1.0 release.
> At that occasion the Zope fans are reminded how far Zope fell far behind in
> terms of attention and recognized widespread.
>
> Python has batteries included. Zope is a power plant. But still everyone
> speaks of Django, Turbogears or Ruby on Rails. Even if they talk about the
> shortcommings of J2EE.
>
> Some of the best content management systems are build using Zope 2. CPS, ZMS
> and my favourite: Plone. And Typo3 gets even more attention. Why?
>
> Because we failed. We aren't marketing Zope at all. Have a look at zope.org.
> Do you think, that any CEO will stay at that site more than 10 seconds? Have
> a look at rubyonrails.org and cry. Zope 3.2 will be delivered soon. Have any
> look at zope.org < where isS( You got it.
>
> To a certain extent Zope 2 was attracting like a nuclear power plant.
> Whenever I start programming with Zope 2, latest for Plone, I can feel its
> power before even diving into it much, but I'm alarmed of its pitfalls at
> the very same time. So all my hopes are with Zope 3 which enabled me without
> hurting me yet. Will I get a truly powerful replacement for J2EE?
>
> Here are my ideas to make Zope 3 the most successful framework ever:
>
> Make them love Zope at the very first look:
>
>     * Make installing Zope a double-click or one-command-only experience and
>     * offer a 30 minutes tutorial of programming an useful application
>       including an audiovisual show for an appetizer that offers a feeling
>       of success.
>
> Bribe the managers:
>
>     * Include Microsoft SQL-Server and Oracle relational database access.
>     * Include powerful XML processing facilities and
>     * include everything necessary and useful to build or use web services.
>
> Enable the beginners:
>
>     * Easy to read and understand < but still complete and current <
>       documentation is a must.
>     * Avoid cluttering everything about Zope across articles, blogs, chats,
>       mailing lists and wikis. Keep everything available and searchable at
>       one central location.
>
> Remember: The power of Ruby on Rails doesn't come from either Ruby or the
> framework but from its community.
>
> And < of course < make Zope 4 even better.
>
> Regards,
>
>   Gert
>
> http://www.gertthiel.de/blog/drafts/ivory-tower/

Jonathan Cyr