[Zope] What did your Zope server do in 2005?

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Tue Jan 3 16:42:34 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 02:11, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 08:10, Jake wrote:
> > I sent this out last year and thought it would be fun to see how
> > Zope's did in 2005.
> >
> > Pages:6,580,999
> > Hits: 37,137,283
> > Bandwidth: 142.12 GB
> > Hardware: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR Ram, SCSI Raid 1, RH ES
> > 2.1
> > Zope: 2.7.4, CMF 1.4.7, Plone 2.0.5
>
> What did you gather that information with?  Just parsing the log files?
>
> Anyway, here's ours:
>
> Pages: 2.9 million (approx)
> Hardward: Xeon 2.4GHz (HTT disabled), 2GB RAM, FreeBSD 6.0, single SCSI-320
> drive.
> Zope: 8 instances of 2.7.8, hanging off a single ZEO server, and
> load-balanced (random selection) by an Apache 2.0.55 proxy on the same
> machine.

I don't have complete stats for the whole year, but from Feb 2005 to today we
did:

Hits: 23,359,722
Pages: 10,977,747
Peak rate: 18,998 hits per hour
Setup: 2 dual AMD Opteron 244 machines, 2GB RAM, Debian, with
     pydirector load-balancing them and apache out the front with the
     vhost mappings (we have a bazillion vhosts). One machine is also ZEO
     server with lotsa RAID disk, the other is just a grunt box with
     CPU, RAM and little else.
Zope: 2.7.6

We have five ZEO clients (one per CPU plus an extra). One of them is dedicated
to serving search-engine bot traffic so that the other clients (and hence
regular users) aren't affected when they decide to spider *all* of our vhosts
at once. Which they do, on a regular basis. Currently we see the majority of
our traffic handled by the first of the other four ZEO clients, but at peak
load times the others two see a trickle of hits. I expect we could double the
current load, and we are anticipating an increase in load this year of at
least that. It's a good thing that dual-Opteron machines are cheap.

    Richard