[Zope] dynamically creating zip file, returning to user

John Toews john.toewsllc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 21:47:27 EST 2006

Zope 2.8.0, Python 2.3.5

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to zip up some files in my zope
instance and return them to the user. I can sucessfully create a zip file on
the local file system, but if I try to pass it back to the user it is
corrupted. Of course I'd rather not create this tmp3.zip file, so if there's
a way around that (which I'm sure there is!) please do let me know.

        filename = 'test.zip'
        response = self.REQUEST.RESPONSE
        response.setHeader('Content-Type','application/zip')
         response.setHeader('Content-Disposition','attachment; filename=%s'
% filename)
        # tried zf = zipfile.ZipFile( response, 'w' ) but get error, ZHTTP
object doesn't have tell method
        zf = zipfile.ZipFile( '/tmp3.zip', 'w' )
        zf.writestr( 'testfilename', str( self._getOb( testfileid ) ) )
        zf.close()
        f = open('/tmp3.zip')
        return f.read()

Any thoughts on what fairly obvious thing I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
John