[Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

bruno desthuilliers bruno at modulix.org
Fri Jan 6 12:46:40 EST 2006

Asad Habib wrote:
(top-post corrected)

> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, bruno desthuilliers wrote:
>
>> Asad Habib wrote:
>> (top-post corrected)

>> (snip)

>>> Well, the class is simply a construct that Java uses to define an
>>> object. Also, the concept of object is well defined in Java which makes
>>> it easier for the programmer to know what can and cannot be done. In
>>> Python, it is not as explicit.
>>

>> Ho, really ? Chapter and verse, please ?
>>
>>> Java is a programming language and hence
>>> cannot be compared directly to a scripting language such as Python
>>

>> Lol.
>>
>>> or
>>> PHP. These 2 types are designed for different purposes.
>>

>> Learn Python, learn about it's object model, learn about it's execution
>> model, and stop talking like a clueless newbie.
>>

> Bruno, it's evident to me that you cannot distinguish between opinion
> and fact.

opinions :
- "Java is a programming language, Python is a scripting language",
- "Zope is like PHP",

facts :
- the two main differences between Python and Java are the type system
(declarative static in Java, dynamic in Python) and the fact that in
Python, everything is an object (which is not true in Java)
- Python is successfully used for large-scale applications
- Zope is a web application server written in Python

> My advice to you, try thinking outside your box! Python is one
> of several languages being used for software development in the world
> today

I use, did use, and will still use other languages too (including Java,
which I really liked - before I discovered Python and Smalltalk).

> and just because I don't think it's optimal for large-scale
> applications (the keywork here is I, not everyone) does not mean that
> you have to insult me.

As I said elsewhere, you have the absolute right to think what you want,
prefer whichever language you prefer etc.

The problem here is not that you prefer Java, it is that you present a
mix of unbacked opinions and erroneous beliefs as facts. Hence my
advice. BTW, please re-read it carefully: I do not say you *are* a
clueless newbie - just that you actually talk like one. But you're of
course free to feel insulted if you prefer...

--
bruno desthuilliers
développeur
bruno at modulix.org