[Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 14:01:57 EST 2006

On 1/6/06, bruno desthuilliers <bruno at modulix.org> wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > On 1/6/06, bruno desthuilliers <bruno at modulix.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Not even - Python is byte-compiled too. The difference is that the
> >>Python interpreter (call it 'VM' if you think that 'interpreter' isn't
> >>buzzword-compliant enough) is smart enough to take care of the
> >>compilation phase by itself.
> >

> > Ah, but that's not the only difference.
>
> Of course not !-)
> This was only about the 'compiled-vs-interpreted' thing.

Yeah, yeah, I was trying to be pedagogical and failed. Compiled =
fixed, interpreted = not fixed. If you see what I mean. Of course,
thats an oversimplification bordering on the incorrect, and there are
better ways to describe it, so as usual, I should be ignored.

It is indeed the dynamic typing, and the fact that everything is
handled by reference (more than that everything is an object, although
that's true as well) that I was aiming at. This means that you can
just replace the reference to one method with the reference to another
method, and do the same with everything else. Careful use of this
seriously cuts down development time, by for example letting you fix
Zope bugs without waiting for a new release.

I think it is these things people tend to see as "scripting" or
"interpreted" language features as opposed to "compiled" or "real"
languages.