[Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

Cliff Williams gcw-python at rezidew.net
Thu Jan 5 13:56:49 EST 2006

I was waiting for someone else to mention this and am only adding it
because I haven't seen it yet. To answer you question "Why wold anyone
use Java?" I present the following:

It's not always about the technology.

Outside of Fortune 1000 "america" we can debate the merits of differing
techologies and experiment. (Example: at rezidew.net we wanted to know
which would perform better for us a 486 133 or a pentium 60. We built a
box and ran it "in production" for a month then pulled the harddrive out
and plopped it into another box. Try doing that at a fortune 1000
company) Companies are now in the mode of "managing risk" so if they
have to use an inferior system (MS Exchange) to get that "exposure
mitigation" they are looking for, that's what they'll do.

I've worked at banks that had "No Open Source" policies. When I pointed
out that their IBM webservers were running Linux which is OpenSource
they said "oh well it's IBM, we have an SLA with them". When I've
rebutted that they could get the same from other companies for Open
Source technologies; the reply was something like "what some dot-com
that's going to disappear in 2 years?"

So it's not the "bits, bytes, methods, types, references, classes,
instanciation" based answer you were probably looking for but it's true,
at least in my experience.